The Bat bite story

It was one hot, humid and sweaty Saturday evening in Chennai, like any other evening in Chennai. After attending a conference organized by department i returned to my room at 5. Washed my clothes, cleaned my room and thinking that a short nap will freshen me up, slept at 6.

I woke up at 7 and checked my mail. I was working on Facebook (mafia wars to be precise), when suddenly i felt something crawling up my leg. It felt deliberate, purposeful, quite business like and before i could think of anything else a sudden pain went up my leg. I instinctively reached for the spot with my hand. As soon as i touched it i felt s soft feathery surface and was a little surprised. I initially thought it must be some strange kind of wasp or cockroach (large number of them call my hostel their home). I stood up and could not believe my eyes when i saw a bat crawling on the floor. It had bitten me and was now crawling here and there on the floor. Without thinking much i put my shirt over it. Wrapped it around and threw it down the elevator shaft in the hostel. As it descended down from the fourth floor, it spread out its wings and started to fly and was then lost in the darkness of the shaft.

I took a bath soon after and used dettol and went for the dinner organized by department after the conference. Everything went fine till 12 midnight, when the wound started to pain. Kommu was present in my room and a little worried i asked him to do a Google search with keywords as "Bat + Rabies".

After 10 mins of surfing he came out with an impressive list. Bat bites are leading cause of rabies deaths in USA, Australia and Oceania. With 99% death rate unless treated they are very very lethal. Survivors have to contend themselves with amputation, paralysis and worse. As he continued his google search more horror poured into the room, along with some really badass bat pictures.

I asked him "Am I going to die, any chance?" Kommu coolly said "Trust me. It's the last thing you'll do."


I went to hospital next day for the rabies shot.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts