Ronnie and Reggie


So this is the window in my hostel room. Since last 6 months or so it has been occupied by a pair of pigeons. Initially, I tried to block their entrance by covering up the lower part with newspapers. And I failed. They somehow ripped it open. After that rainwater washed away whatever little had remained behind. Then they made themselves comfortable inside.
They are decent occupants though. They have not dirtied up the place with their droppings....not as much as in some other rooms. Soon after occupying the place the lovemaking started. Pretty noisy one. And it was not restricted to day time. I have had my sweet dreams broken a number of times by their noisy lovemaking rituals. I clicked them once in action. Daytime offcourse.


Until one of them noticed me snooping around.
Meanwhile the inevitable result of the noisy lovemaking followed. I noticed two eggs one day. After that they started transporting in materials to make a nest of sorts. But the eggs did not last. It was late november and the monsoon had just set in. One day the rainwater came in and the eggs were wet. They could not have kept them warm enough with in the frequent rains and the eggs died. I found them broken a few days later. I guess they ate it themselves.
Soon after that another wild round of noisy lovemaking followed. Another pair of eggs. But this time there were no mistakes. The eggs hatched about two weeks back. I saw two yellow colored younglings under the pigeon. It was trying to keep them warm. Not a tough job in Chennai's heat these days.  They are growing up and doing well.
I am not sure about their gender but I have named them Ronnie and Reggie for now. They are mostly silent throuhout the day, except in the mornings. That I think is their feeding time. I have seen one pigeon regurgitate out stuff to feed them.
Most of the other residents in the hostel have blocked their windows using steel meshes. I did not install one in my room. But I think the next occupant will install one. I don't know where the couple would go then. Anyway, goodluck to Ronnie and Reggie. I hope they will do well.


Comments

Popular Posts